Saturday, December 8, 2012

Zatannurday: the Amazing Adventures of Zatara!

I have been spending the week with Amazing Adventures the new Pulp Game from Troll Lords.
The cool thing about the "Pulp Era" is it more or less coincided with the "Golden Age of Comics".  There are a lot of reasons for that which I will leave to others more knowledgeable than me.  There is one thing I do know pretty well that covers both the Pulp and Golden Age of Comics and this blog.
Giovanni "John" Zatara.

Giovanni Zatara is the father of Zatanna Zatara.  I have talked about and stated him up before, but this might be my favorite  version.  It seems to fit rather nicely.  Again, I started with his M&M3 stats as a base line.  I also wanted to make him a CHA based Arcanist since I felt that it worked best, given his career as a stage magician wold have mostly been about illusion.  I also felt the description of a CHA-based Arcanist fit my idea of who Zatara, and Zatanna, are.

Giovanni "John" Zatara
Arcanist (CHA) 12
Human* Male, Lawful Good
hp: 50
MEP: 120
AC: 14 (dex, ring of protection)
Move: 30'

STR: 12 (0)
DEX: 16 (+2)
CON: 10 (0)
INT: 16 (+2)
WIS: 14 (+1)
CHA: 19 (+4)

*Zatara is a member of the Home Magi race. He gains a +1 to CHA and a -1 to CON.
Zatara, as a quirk of his own style of magic, must speak all his spells backwards in order to wrok.

Languages: Italian, English, Latin, Greek (native language is Italian)
Background: Entertainer (Actor) +4,
Traits: Spellgifted (transmutation), Spellgifted (illusion)
Skill: Knowledge (Arcana)

Gear: Top hat, cane (magical focus +2), tux

Spells 9/5/5/4/3/2/1
0: Arcane Mark, Detect Illusion, Detect Magic, Influence, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Stun
1: Change Self, Charm Person, Daze, Obscuring Mist, Sleep, Silent Image
2: Alter Self, Blur, Detect Thoughts, Hypnotic Pattern, Misdirection, Pyrotechnics
3: Blink, Clairvoyance/Clairaudience, Hallucinatory Terrain, Major Image, Suggestion
4: Confusion, Dispel Magic, Mirage Arcana
5: Major Creation, True Seeing
6: Mass Suggestion

I am very, very pleased with this.  So pleased in fact that if I ever get a chance to play AA I want to play Zatara.

Links for Amazing Adventures

http://www.trolllord.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=211
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/106153/Amazing-Adventures%21?affiliate_id=10748

2 comments:

The Grey Elf said...

You seem to be using a lot of "rings of protection" in these, which don't nominally exist in AA. Why not just have their costumes give them the +2 AC bonus, as standard?

Also, the magical focus is a bit outside the rules. Not that it's a problem, but it misrepresents the way the Arcanist works in AA.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I meant to write up a magical focus as a "house rule". Basically it gives him a +1 to his rolls.

Costumes: yes. I should change that.

Thanks for the input!