Monday, October 3, 2011

The Other OSRIC Player's Guide

So last week I discussed the OSRIC Players Reference (which I had been mistakenly called Guide).
Well it turns out that there was an "OSRIC Players Reference" and its development has been detailed here: http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=8038

It is now out and you can get it for free at:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=95496&affiliate_id=10748
Now to be clear there is nothing new here.  The rules are straight out of OSRIC.  BUT they have been re-written and re-edited into a new volume for the Players only.  Plus it comes with a bunch of old-school-style art that is very reminiscent of the old DMG and PHB.  It would not be appropriate for a new book, but for a book like this (one trying to invoke the feel of the late 70s) it is great.  Frankly I really like the art.

Speaking of the art.  The artist is the editor of this edition, Steve Robertson.

I have not read it all yet.  But I have flipped through it.
Again, the price is good (free).
I noticed some funky bits with the OGC deceleration, but some of that could be due with the addition OSRIC license/permission needed. (IE Claiming Chapters 4, 5 & 6 as PI when this book only goes to Chapter 3).

If you are a player of OSRIC then this is certainly a good resource.

3 comments:

Amanda Heitler said...

The art for this is pretty much a perfect evocation of mid-70s D&D. Just looking at it you know exactly what you'll be getting - a great marriage of image and content.

Bree Yark! said...

Thanks for the shout out!

It is the text from the first 3 chapters of OSRIC (minus the GM parts of chapter 3). The other difference is the arrangement of spells and spell lists.

I probably could have deleted some of the legalese in the back, but I'm no lawyer, and I figure it wouldn't hurt anything to leave it all in there.

There are a lot of "old school Easter eggs" hidden throughout the art (some obvious, some not so obvious) for those who grew up with the old books.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

My favorite easter egg was the "It didn't work" one. That made me laugh out loud for sure!

Great job.