Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Playing D&D with Kids

There have been a lot of posts in the blogs and on the net about playing D&D with younger kids.

From WotC: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4tut/kids2#73004
and this classic article, http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/april2010

Of course there is my kids' group, The DragonSlayers.

Well I am thinking about running some games at Gen Con for kids this year.

I am also thinking of using the Moldvay/Cook versions of Basic and Expert for it as well.    Nothing is set in stone yet, I am going to chat about it over the weekend with my regular group.  But this might be a chance a debut my long delayed "Return to the Cavern of the Vampire Queen" old school dungeon crawl.

At the moment to make it really old school I need to include more treasure.  There is not really enough of that.

5 comments:

NewbieDM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I created rpgKids for my daughter, who was 4 at the time. She's almost 6, and we still play with it. She probably wouldn't grasp a more complex game until she hit maybe 9 or 10. You can find it at rpgkids.com.

I'm not sure why the industry has yet to grasp that parents really, really like gaming with their kids. It's weird to me that there aren't more of these types of products.

Game Master Rob Adams said...

I like making at least one of my games kid friendly at conventions. I also try to make it friendly to my 5 year old (going on six this year) daughter. I use classic sterotypes with character ideas that they are familiar with. I have found that this is a great way to get kids into the hobby!

Anonymous said...

I would definitely recommend not using and OOP game. Use something currently in-print. If you really still want to go old school, use Labyrinth Lord.

The idea is that I think it's in the best interest of the hobby if the kids can play something, think, "that's cool!" and buy it - without having to scour eBay for a used copy.

Then when they show it off to their friends, they can buy one too. Using something long out of print will lead to a dead end.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

@Goorange: That is a VERY good point. That is one of the reasons why I taught my kids D&D 4 since that is what they are most likely to be playing with other kids.