Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Playing D&D with Kids Follow-up and Question

This is directed specifically to the parents of D&D playing kids.

What do you all think of a classic-style Dungeon Crawl that features a lot of undead, wolves and a big bad vampire to kill at the very end?

What would this be age-appropriate for?

My boys (ages 11 and 7) know all about zombies, vampires and werewolves and they know that if they defeat them then they will get their characters instead.

They are cool with it.  Have you ever run these horror tropes with young kids?

3 comments:

Paolo Cecchetto said...

I'm no parent, but I can tell you that at age of 10 I was a Dungeon Master of one of those dungeons and with my players (8 to 9 aged friends) we where having a LOT of fun! (and now we are full functionale adults, I swear!) ^_^

Lord Kilgore said...

This sounds perfect. I introduced my kids to D&D at a similar age and they seem to be turning out okay.

As long as they're familiar with the undead and such, I foresee no issues.

Other tropes that kids are familiar with (like pirates) would also be good for this sort of thing.

The Red DM said...

My son is just 5, and the only reason he isn't playing already are the current time constraints on my life.

I don't think I would back down from any particular monster type due to age, though the presentation of that monster would be very different to a child than my normal gaming group.